11/2/12

Ride In 11/2: American Romanesque

Friday. Thank goodness.

I saw at least four Bromptons today and one guy on a tandem, riding by himself. Yesterday I saw a different guy on a different tandem (again alone) and I saw a Bike Friday folder. I've also seen some more Xtracycles lately and a few cargo bikes and plenty of people with trailers and basically it seems like bikes are getting bigger and smaller at the same time.

It was a nice ride this morning, but I think I got stopped at nearly every red light in the three miles between my home at the coffee shop. That doesn't normally happen. I give about as much thought to jaywheeling as I do jaywalking. I don't mean that I do it mindlessly, just that I take the same level of concern and consideration when I walk across the street as I do when I pedal across the street. Seems prudent to do at least that. Feel free to scold accordingly.

Another really nice coffee gathering, cut short by my having to leave somewhat early to make it to work for an early appointment. Initially, I thought that I would ride through Foggy Bottom and the West End, but my curiosity about the L Street cycle track got the better of me and I doubled back and took 15th. I crossed K and one block later was L Street, freshly paved to 14th, but not striped or painted. I'm sure they'll have done more today- each day brings with it some more progress and perhaps even some minor improvements, though not without some issues. For what it's worth, I expect the parking problems to disappear rather rapidly and much faster than some of the issues, like drivers using the lane as a throughput to get to parking garages or alleyways or in the worst case, to get around other car traffic. Only time will tell.

What would you do if you came across a bike crash?

Same crosstown and uptown route as normal. SPOILER ALERT: it was all right. I really dawdled and it probably took me about 45 minutes to go 4 or 5 miles. I sat myself in a nice low gear and just turned over the pedals nice and easy and almost found myself late for my appointment. It was worth it. It's too easy to get caught up in the idea that just because a bike is capable of moving you pretty quickly that you should feel obliged to make it so. Of course, you don't want to be late for stuff either.

No comments:

Post a Comment