9/7/11

Ride In 9/7

One thing I forgot to mention on last night's ride home. Pop quiz for members of the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee:
Which Arlington County staff "Dave" rides an Xtracycle (spotted along Fairfax Drive yesterday evening)?
A) David Patton
B) David Kirschner
C) David Goodman
D) I don't know, but I plan to find out when I attend the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee meeting on September 12 at 6:30 in Gateway Park in Arlington to discuss the problematic intersection of Lynn Street and Lee Highway. As a "bonus," you might even get to be totally underwhelmed when you meet yours truly.
For anyone out there who's locally based and thinks there's a "war on cars", tell them to wait at a crosswalk on George Mason on a school day morning and monitor the flow of traffic. Because what I know of wars (which is quite little), if one said (namely them) gets to move unimpeded while the other side (me) has no option but to wait for more than 5 minutes for traffic to clear before safely crossing, well... you can draw your own conclusions.
This morning's ride was pretty much on auto-pilot. Same speed as always. Stopped at the same lights as always. A nice pace through Arlington, happy that I was riding between rain storms.
Serotta spotting: Wilson and Oak.
On the bridge I was distracted by Mr. Rusty-Chain (Get a new chain!) and I sort of drifted a bit, but was more than barely on the wrong side of the invisible line that divides inbound and outbound traffic and some guy on a bike rode passed me in the opposite direction and said something that I couldn't understand. It sounded like "trespass" but I'm fairly certain that wasn't it. In any case, sorry. Rusty-chain dismounted and walked up 35th, but maybe he wouldn't have had to if his bike was in better shape?
All sorts of slow going through Georgetown on account of construction and school traffic. Stayed appropriately out of the "danger zone" by not trying to squeeze past slowed cars.
I'm grateful that I don't have to deal with any real harassment, but I still think this is a great idea. The video is harrowing and very upsetting, just FYI.
If I had a nickle for every time I saw at least two adults in a car driving through Georgetown or Glover Park during the morning commute, I'd have like 7 nickels. That makes me really sad, not just because I like the idea of having many nickels, which in all honesty I'd just exchange for more versatile and portable currency, but because it just seems so wasteful. What happened to carpooling? These neighborhoods really aren't that diffuse and I can't believe that everyone works so far apart downtown either. Probably just couldn't agree on a radio station.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a link to pics of my Xtracycle rig for anyone who's interested in how to modify an already modified bike.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/daavman/Xtracycle?authuser=0&feat=directlink
    DG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures! You've ruined the quiz, but I still hope that everyone will show up on Monday. It's 6:30 at Gateway Park, followed by a "reception" at Continental Lounge at 7:15.

    ReplyDelete